Sunday, November 20, 2011

Meeting My Doppelganger in Amsterdam (and other tales from The Netherlands)

Photo Credit
Ah, Amsterdam. If it hadn't been for my amazing roommates, I don't think I would have ventured there during my trip. For my birthday, they "surprised" me with tickets to see Foster the People at Melkweg in The Netherlands. Needless to say, I was thrilled. Not only was I blessed with the most incredible roommates in the world,  but they gave me an excuse to travel to a place where I normally wouldn't have gone, and I had the most incredible time.


Amsterdam is one of those places that I don't think I will ever quite understand. The people there are so interesting and fun. Everyone rides their bikes all over the city. Not only do you have to be watching out for cars driving by, but bikes zipping past you left and right, which is something I was having trouble getting used to. I did try my best. I was not about to get run over by a bicycle for the second time in my life.

Melkweg was such a cool little club that was only about two blocks away from our hostel where my roommates Martha and Liz were staying with our friend Clara, Martha's brother Mats, and his friend Lars. Granted, this hostel room was three bunk beds and a sink crammed into a room no bigger than the bathroom of my sorority house. We were a little crowded for space, but it was a great time nevertheless.

So, night number one we grabbed a quick bite of dinner and went to Melkweg to see the band. Links to performances from the show and the band that opened for them are going to be at the end of this blog (as per usual). I highly recommend both of the bands. Zulu Winter is a bit different, but highly enjoyable. If you've been living under a rock and haven't heard anything by Foster the People, allow me to be the first to introduce you. They're a really interesting new band with a sound that's totally unique. Fun to listen to, AMAZING to see live.

Photo Credit: Mads Gausdal
One mildly amusing story was that I think I met my evil twin at the concert. I have never in my life experienced a moment where I've looked across a room and thought, "gosh, that girl looks an awful lot like me." Until now. It was honestly like looking into a mirror. I wish more than anything that I had gotten a picture with her or at least snuck one when she wasn't looking. Even my roommates thought it was incredibly strange. At least I wasn't losing my mind.

Naturally we wandered around Amsterdam the next two days, seeing everything we possibly could. The Van Gogh Museum was really great. I was awestruck by the intensity of his artwork and passion that he put into it.  We walked around the center and the North part of town (the red light district may or may not have been there, and it may or may not have been the strangest thing I may or may not have ever seen). The Heineken Factory seems to be one of the pride and joys of this city and they take their beer very seriously, serving all of it at a specific temperature after "sealing" the top of the glass by taking a flat piece of plastic across the top. It's all very amusing to watch.

I had another amazing time in a gorgeous city. I would recommend the journey to anyone and everyone. Liefde!


Until next time! (which will hopefully be soon!)
Love Always!

facebook
twitter
skype: ellenvarner

Zulu Winter FTP Houdini FTP Pumped Up Kicks

No comments:

Post a Comment